- Prep & Cook Time: 50 Minutes (+ Refrigeration)
- Makes: 24
- 1⁄2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1⁄3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 125g butter, chopped, extra
- 2 x 395g cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄3 cup (115g) golden syrup or treacle
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Grease an 18cm x 26cm slice pan; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over sides to use as handles.
- Sift flour and cocoa into a medium bowl. Stir in sugar and coconut; make a well in the centre. Stir in melted butter, extract and egg until combined. Spoon mixture into pan; using the back of a spoon, press evenly over the base. Cover with a sheet of baking paper, press down firmly until even and smooth. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir extra chopped butter, condensed milk and syrup in a medium saucepan over low heat until combined. Pour over chocolate base.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until top is toffee-coloured; cool.
- Refrigerate slice until just before cutting into squares and serving.