Prep + cook time 20 minutes
(+ standing) Serves 4
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ cups (375ml) primary dashi
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 large cabbage leaves
- 125g pork mince
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup (125ml) japanese worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons (46g) drained red pickled ginger
- 1 tablespoon shredded seaweed (ao-nori)
- ¼ cup (3g) smoked dried bonito flakes
1 Sift flour and baking powder into a medium bowl. Gradually stir in combined dashi and egg, mixing quickly until smooth; do not overmix. Cover; stand for 30 minutes.
2 Discard thick ribs from cabbage leaves; slice leaves thinly. Add cabbage and pork to batter, season with pepper; mix gently.
3 Heat a quarter of the oil in a medium frying pan over low heat. Add a quarter of the batter, flatten with spatula. When bubbles begin to appear, turn over and brush cooked side with sauce. Turn pancake over again and brush other side with sauce. Quickly repeat once more, so sauce caramelises. Remove from pan, cover; keep warm. Repeat with remaining oil and batter to make
four pancakes in total.
4 Serve pancakes sprinkled with pickled ginger, seaweed and bonito flakes.