- Prep & Cook Time: 55 Minutes (+ Standing)
- Serves: 8
- 470g trimmed rhubarb stalks
- 3⁄4 cup (165g) raw caster sugar
- 450g loaf brioche
- 90g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 180g white eating chocolate, chopped finely
- 1 vanilla bean
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups (500ml) pouring cream
- 11⁄2 cups (375ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan.
- Cut rhubarb into 6cm lengths. Place rhubarb in a 4-litre (16-cup) ovenproof dish; sprinkle with 1⁄4 cup of the raw caster sugar. Roast, covered, for 25 minutes or until just tender. Transfer half the rhubarb to a medium bowl.
- Meanwhile, trim brioche; cut into 1.5cm thick slices. Combine 70g of the butter and cardamom in a small bowl; spread butter mixture onto each brioche slice. Sprinkle three-quarters of the chocolate over buttered brioche; sandwich together. Layer brioche on top of rhubarb in dish. Top with remaining rhubarb and chocolate.
- Split vanilla bean in half lengthways; scrape out seeds. Combine seeds with eggs, 1⁄4 cup of the raw caster sugar, cream and milk in a jug. Pour half the cream mixture over brioche; stand until mixture has soaked into brioche. Pour remaining mixture over brioche; dot with remaining butter, sprinkle with remaining raw caster sugar.
- Place ovenproof dish in a large baking dish; add enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the ovenproof dish.6 Bake pudding for 30 minutes or until just set. Remove pudding from baking dish; stand for 10 minutes. Serve dusted with sifted icing sugar.