- Prep & Cook Time: 45 Minutes (+ Cooling)
- Serves: 10
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 11⁄2 tablespoons hot water
- 80g white chocolate, grated finely
- 2⁄3 cup (100g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup (55g) caster sugar, extra
- 500g rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 5cm lengths
- 1⁄3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 cup (125ml) thickened cream
- 1 cup (250g) mascarpone cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan. Grease a 26cm x 32cm swiss roll pan; line base with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over the long sides.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer for 5 minutes or until very thick. Pour the hot water down the inside of the bowl, add chocolate; gently fold in combined sifted flour and spices until just combined. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture, in two batches, until just combined. Spread mixture into pan.
- Bake cake for 12 minutes or until golden and sponge springs back when pressed lightly with a finger.
- Meanwhile, place a piece of baking paper, cut just larger than the pan, on a work surface; sprinkle evenly with extra sugar. Turn hot sponge onto sugar-covered-paper, peel away lining paper; trim crisped edges with a sharp knife. Working quickly, and using paper as a guide, roll sponge up from one long side. Cool for 5 minutes. Unroll sponge, remove paper; reroll, cover with a clean tea towel. Cool.
- Meanwhile, make roasted rhubarb. Make mascarpone cream.
- Unroll sponge; spread with mascarpone cream, leaving a 2.5cm border. Top with rhubarb. Reroll sponge to enclose filling. Serve roulade immediately, drizzled with rhubarb pan juices.
- Combine ingredients in a medium bowl; transfer to a small shallow baking dish.
- Roast in oven for 10 minutes, stirring halfway, or until rhubarb is tender.
- Beat cream and mascarpone in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.